Friday, October 30, 2015

Southern Leopard Frog

Southern Leopard Frog (Lithobates spenocephalus)


The Son of Never Stops Eating and I were out for a walk at the nature preserve yesterday, and found this frog just hanging out.  It was a great observation because the frog was willing to just sit there and let me get a few pictures of him.  Usually they flee as soon as they sense human presence.

We had been having an interesting discussion about why wild animals aren't interested in getting close to people.  My son has been learning about predators and prey in class, so I was explaining that these critters probably view us as predators, and my son wanted to know how to tell the animals that he didn't want to hurt them.  Then we came upon this frog, and for a minute or so he got to get up close and look- until the frog decided to hop away and go somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment