Friday, February 19, 2016

Lent Slacker

Today, I have a confession to make. I am a Lent slacker.

Ever since I was a little kid and made the mistake of giving up pizza and cake for Lent, only to realize too late that pizza and cake was served at every birthday party I went to during that six weeks period, I’ve had a good intentions gone unrealized relationship with the observance.   Then Easter comes and I have a distinct feeling that I’ve failed some spiritual challenge.  So this year I’m unapologetically coming clean.  I suck at Lent.

I have a friend who gives up chocolate every year, and because she is extraordinarily disciplined, she pulls it off.  I tried chocolate one year and lasted exactly until I got stressed out over something (or someone had a birthday party at work and there was chocolate cake- I forget which it was) and that was it. Good intentions, bad follow-through.  The next year I gave up coffee until I fell asleep at my first work meeting of the Lenten season.  Apparently I rely on caffeine to make up the difference between the sleep I am getting and the sleep I should be getting, which makes me exactly like every other adult in the United States.

Also, about the coffee thing- I am a much easier person to be around when I have coffee.

Then the point was brought up that you don't necessarily have to give something up, like chocolate or coffee.  You can add something, like reading a particular book or spending time in prayer.  Or, you can resolve to change something about your life- do something kind each day, or don't use anything plastic. 

OK! I thought.  I can be a nice person for six weeks (stop laughing).  I’m not going to think negative thoughts about anyone.  No matter what happens, I’m going to be gracious and forgiving and give the other person the benefit of the doubt.   On the way home from work the next day, someone cut me off on the highway and I spent five minutes cussing and making snarky commentary to myself on their lack of driving skill and intelligence.

So much for that plan.

I have friends who have successfully given up Facebook, TV, buying clothes, or eating candy for six weeks.  I have friends who get up early and spend time in spiritual contemplation. I have great admiration for these people.  I'm willing to admit I spend a lot of  time, mostly on Facebook or out at the nature preserve, that I could be spending doing good deeds or working on the condition of my soul, although hiking is a form of meditation for me so I don't see it as time wasted.  Facebook, I admit, is an entirely different story. I could try giving it up, but I know I'd sneak a look every now and then.  I believe in realistic goal setting.

On an intellectual level, I get Lent, although I'll understand if you are dubious given my bad record of participation.  I paid attention in Sunday School and church.  I'm just not very good at following through on my intentions.  I know what you're thinking- if I made it a priority in my life, it would be easier.  You are probably right.  I'm not giving up; I have a goal this year too and so far I'm sticking to it.  One week in; I'm already ahead of the year I gave up coffee (two days). I do think that if we were all willing to openly acknowledge our failings or struggles as well as our successes,  the world would be a happier place- and Lent slacking is a challenge of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment