Monday, December 7, 2015

Turkey Tail Fungus

Turkey tail (Trametes versicolor)


I found this fungus while I was out hiking in the woods with the Son of Never Stops Eating last weekend. It was his birthday, and what he wanted to do on his birthday was take a hike with his mom- what a great kid! The trail was a little wet, so our boots and shoes got a little damp, but it was worth it.

I spent some time yesterday working on an ID, and I finally concluded that this is a "Turkey Tail fungus", Trametes versicolor.  I didn't get a picture of the pore side, because the pores were so tiny I could barely see them even with my reading glasses. The cap side had a velvety texture. It was located on the side of a decaying log.

I think it's a gorgeous fungus especially with the varying autumn colors.

We also found this fascinating fungus, but I can't get a good ID on it yet other than knowing it's a polypore (order polyporales).  I may never get any closer than that, but it's still an interesting fungus- and I got a great white spore print from it, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment