Monday, December 14, 2015

Onion Dip



It's not Pinterest-worthy staging, but it sure tastes great!


The Mom of No is not exactly known for her domestic talents (although my son says I bake great banana bread-but he's always trying to butter me up for toys) but I can at least do this one thing well: onion dip.

Several years ago, I acquired this recipe for "Onion Souffle".  The name of the individual who gave me this recipe is lost in the mists of time, but it's become my go-to whenever I'm invited somewhere and asked to bring a dish.  Usually it disappears within minutes.  I suspect that sometimes it isn't my presence that is desired; it is the onion dip.

It's really simple; it has only four ingredients: onions, mayo, cream cheese and shredded parmesan cheese blended together and then baked. Somehow, magic occurs while baking which turns these four ingredients into a 8X8 pan of spectacular creamy cheesy savory goodness.

If you look up onion dip or onion souffle online, many different versions exist.  This is the one I use:

One large sweet onion, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise (Once I used the reduced fat by mistake and it worked out fine, just FYI)
1 box (8 oz) cream cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (under the premise that you can never have too much cheese, I just throw the entire 2 cup package of shredded cheese in- but the original recipe said one cup).

Mix it all together with a mixer. Spread it out in a 8 X 8 baking dish and bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown on top.  Serve it with Fritos.

It's seriously delicious. 



No comments:

Post a Comment