Friday, December 18, 2015

Christmas

The Mom of No has a long commute to and from work, and usually I listen to audio books, but sometimes the book ends and then I start getting myself into trouble by mulling over controversial topics of societal interest and what I think about them.  Mostly my thoughts go no further than the confines of my automobile, and that's probably for the best.

This past week I've been thinking about the "War on Christmas", and I have come to the conclusion that there is a war on Christmas- but it isn't the one that people think it is.  Don't roll your eyes at me yet and get all huffy; I'm going to try to explain my thinking.

In many movie and stage versions of Dickens' Christmas Carol,  The Ghost of Christmas Present is portrayed as a large man with a booming voice, dressed lavishly in flowing velvet robes, and surrounded by a cornucopia of good things.  Under his robes, hidden away, are want and ignorance- but you don't know that until later in the story, when the ghost shows the ragged pair to a shocked Scrooge.   The Ghost of Christmas Present is the epitome of the Christmas season- a time of lavish generosity and abundance.  Look around in December- everything is abundant and generosity is overflowing, from people willingly sacrificing low utility bills to light the exterior of their houses in brilliant displays to successful toy and food drives.  The music at concerts is joyous and full of flourishes. Christmas cookies and fudge abound (the Mom of No likes maple, just sayin').

I suppose that is why I don't get the complaints about a "war on Christmas"- Christmas is everywhere! How could you miss it?  If aliens landed in the United States anytime after Thanksgiving (OK, anytime after Halloween, especially if you are in Hobby Lobby) it would probably take them about 2.5 seconds to start wondering what the decorated trees were all about.  On my way to work, there is a car dealership with a huge Santa Claus in front of it. Every church in town has a manger scene set out.  At my dentist's office, they were playing Christmas carols on the music system.  I got a filling done while listening to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" when the dentist wasn't drilling or making ominous comments to his assistant, like "oh, that decay is deeper than I thought".  God rest ye merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay..something about a root canal...Christ our Savior was born on Christmas day...we're going to put some medicine down on that root and see what happens, keep your mouth open wide, please... yes, Christmas is everywhere.

Yet, despite the lavish abundance and goodwill of the season, we still have bitterness and anger  (don't believe me? Spend ten minutes on Facebook) , and the twin specters of ignorance and want hiding amongst the Christmas decor.  Somewhere, probably lots of somewheres, in this country, a child will go to sleep hungry on Christmas Eve and wake up shivering cold on Christmas morning to find that Santa has passed him or her by- and this will not come as a surprise to that child although it will still be a disappointment.  Bitterness, anger, ignorance and want. If you are looking for a war on Christmas that is where it is. It is not the quality or quantity of decoration in public places, or the greetings people choose. 

One final note: before you send me hate mail accusing me of all sorts of dastardly qualities, I am a Christian and a churchgoer. The strength of my faith does not rely on public displays of the season, but I have no problem with people wishing me a "Merry Christmas"- I'll happily say it right back to you and mean it, but I'm also fine with "happy holidays" or "have a nice day".  I love the Christmas classics, especially that masterpiece of holiday entertainment, "Christmas Vacation". Also, I'm still experiencing some post-dental work angst and pain.  Be nice.  And have a Merry Christmas.


1 comment:

  1. So right on, Jen. People gorge themselves on self-satisfaction and smugness by posting angry, "It's CHRISTMAS!!" messages on Facebook while less than a mile away someone is suffering. Hope the dental work does not interfere with your fudge intake abilities.

    ReplyDelete