Saturday, November 14, 2015

Do Hamsters Get Married?

When the Son of Never Stops Eating was younger, I felt compelled to explain to people we encountered that he was on the autism spectrum and that was the reason for any odd behaviors they might observe.  I haven't really felt the need to do that in quite some time; either people know us, or they can think what they want.  But sometimes the people around us in public situations probably overhear some very intriguing conversations.

For example, my son is obsessed with hamsters- we are on our fourth hamster.  Extreme interest in specific subjects, like LEGOs, or streetlights, is a classic autism trait.  Sometimes it drives me nuts, especially if I've been around him all day, and it often leads to conversations that go like this:

Son: Mom, can hamsters get married and have babies?
Me: Hamsters like to be alone, so they probably wouldn't want to get married.
Son: But the babies would be SO CUTE!
Me: We don't need any hamster babies.
Son: But they could be a hamster family!

Believe me, the last thing that I need is a hamster wedding in my household.  I know they are adorable, but they escape from their cages and wreak havoc wherever they go.  Did you know hamsters can chew drywall?  That they can crawl into tiny crevices in your house and reside there for days?  One hamster is tolerable, but a family of hamsters?  Not happening.

He has no filter, so he says whatever comes to mind at the moment.  This also leads to interesting interactions.  A year ago, we were part of a group of people visiting a Jewish temple as part of his confirmation class at our church.  The rabbi asked if anyone in the congregation had good news they wanted to share, and my son put his hand up.  I whispered to him in my best mad mom voice to put his hand down, but it was too late. He announced to the entire congregation that he had "ditched school" that day (he hadn't- that was totally wishful thinking on his part).  I think people were laughing, in a good way- but I was too busy trying to decide whether to laugh myself, or die from embarassment.

He is also obsessed with a video series called "Making Fiends".  The main character is a girl named Vendetta, who seems to have social skills problems of her own.  I'm sure that the people who overheard a recent conversation about Vendetta and her fiends were scratching their heads in confusion. 

Son: Mom, I don't like Vendetta.
Me: I know. You've told me several times.
Son: Vendetta makes fiends, and they took over Clamburg.
Me: I know.
Son: Mom, do you like Vendetta?
Me:  (screaming silently in my head because we've had this conversation six times already).

If anyone has good tips on drywall repair, let me know. I know what one hamster can do.  I can't imagine what damage a hamster family could do.  Hopefully I will not find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment