Friday, March 18, 2016

My Phone is Judging Me

Don't laugh, but the Mom of No finally got around to updating the iOS on her phone, about two years after it was released.  Messing with technology makes me a bit nervous, and it hadn't really been necessary until I started getting messages from the apps I had installed, telling me that my iOS was out of date and the app upgrade couldn't be run.  The situation was becoming a code red technology emergency.

So I ran the update, without teenager help, even, and it went well. All my nightmares about the phone crashing and losing all my data went unrealized.  Whew, what a relief. I was half expecting a message to appear that said "what took you so long, technophobe?" but there was no judging.  Not yet.

A day later, I was waiting in line and I started poking around, looking at all these new little gadgets that had miraculously appeared on my phone.  One was called "Health".  What was this, I wondered?  Some new app that would harangue me relentlessly until I quit procrastinating about making that annual well-woman exam? I wasn't sure I wanted that, although I probably need it.

I pressed down on the little square, and what appeared was a chart showing how many steps I'd taken that day, and how many miles I walked.  The conclusion you could come to by looking at it was easy: I sit a lot and don't walk very far.  In other words, I'm lazy and I have a desk job.

I will own that I don't get as much exercise as I should.   However, now that I know that my phone knows that, I started feeling like I had something to prove.  I do walk more than you say I do, you silly phone. You have no idea how much I am walking. Sometimes I am walking and I do not take you with me.  This count is not accurate!

The next day, I had to go talk to a co-worker.  I took the phone.   I'm walking! I'm going down the stairs! I'm going back up the stairs! Look, phone, I am up to nearly 2,000 steps and it's not even noon!  I became determined that I was going to get that app to say that I had walked 10,000 steps that day. Everywhere I went, the phone went, too. I even parked further away than I needed to in the grocery store parking lot, just to get more steps on my phone. 

Later, the Son of Never Stops Eating and I went to the Y to work out.  I was determined to get credit for that on my phone.  Would my phone count the number of steps I took on the treadmill if I didn't carry it with me? What if I stuck it in the little holder?  I started experimenting.  I probably looked silly, walking on the treadmill carrying my phone next to me.  However, the step count was going up, up, up!  I was winning!

I actually have no idea how accurate that count is. I also know that my phone really doesn't care how far I walk, or how many steps I take in a day.  However, I still don't want my phone thinking I am lazy.  I suppose if that gets me to move around more, then it's probably a good thing.  So if you see my car parked at the very back of the parking lot, I'm doing one of two things: I'm parking under a tree to get the shade, or I'm showing my phone who the boss really is around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment