Monday, March 21, 2016

Fun with Plant ID!

Last weekend I went to a workshop on foraging and edible plants.  My reasons for attending were to:

1.  Have an excuse to go outside.
2.  Acquire survival knowledge in case of the zombie apocalypse.
3. Learn some new facts to impress teenagers with.

After the workshop was over, I hiked around the area a bit, and found some flowering plants that I was not familiar with.  I took some pictures and posted them on a naturalist website. 

One of the plants was ID'd as "Fringed Puccoon".  That is a fun name.  It doesn't sound like a plant name; it sounds like an insult in a Shakesperean play:  Out of my sight, thou unworthy fringed puccoon!  Or, something a pirate would say:  Avast, ye fringed puccoon! Hand over ye gold doubloons and walk the plank!

But it's really just a sweet little yellow flower:

Fringed puccoon

Another favorite one is crowpoison.  When I first learned the name, I had an image of some poor unfortunate crow giving it a try,  falling deathly ill, and then croaking a deathbed warning to the other crows before expiring:  Avoid the white flowers! Stay away! Beware!

 In the foraging class, we did learn that it is toxic and not to mistake it for wild onion.

Crowpoison

I do like this little flower- seeing it blooming means that spring is coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment