Monday, January 18, 2016

Nature School

Mom, my son said this morning, I wish nature was my school.

We were on a hike at the local nature preserve, enjoying a sunny but cool day off from school and work. Going hiking is one of our favorite activities, and usually- not all the time, but most of the time, we find something really interesting.  Today, it was this:






I'm not sure what it is- a bird skull, possibly.  We looked it over and considered the possibilities. Small, lightweight,  holes for the eyes on either side.  Earlier, we'd come across part of a beaver skull jaw and that bone was dense and heavy, with some very worn teeth still in the bone.  Compared to that, this skull was feather light.  I picked it up and turned it over; on the top of the skull were six small holes, three on one side of a barely discernible ridge, and three on the other.  I don't know if enough is left of the skull to make an ID on exactly what kind of bird it was, but it was a good speculative discussion. 

Every time we go out and he sees a new animal, or a wildflower, or a a mushroom, he's learning something about the world he lives in, and he's learning about himself.  He doesn't like to get his shoes dirty, and the trail today was a bit muddy from some recent rain.  On the way out, I walked ahead of him and I navigated around the puddles.

On the way back, he walked ahead of me for awhile, and at one point I looked up to see him attempting to jump over a puddle. He was taking a risk. He jumped across the puddle successfully, but landed in mud.  Oops, he said, I forgot it was there.  But that's okay, right, Mom?  Once, it would not have been okay.  In a world that is not always supportive of different ways of learning, nature is our wide open classroom.

Yes, I thought.  Nature is a school. You just don't realize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment