Friday, December 15, 2017

The Marsh Project Week #3

This week, it was a quick hike between finishing up Christmas preparations and dinner out with friends.  Everything was brown, and it was a chilly day, although the sun was shining.  The birds were chirping but mostly invisible.



I had spent the morning running around getting stocking stuffers, a haircut, and visiting the public library to pay some overdue fines.  It felt wonderful to be outside, even if it would be a short hike, just to take a break from the seemingly endless list of chores that make up the weeks before Christmas.

The wildlife wasn't moving around during my walk, but there was clearly evidence that something had been out and about at some point:

No, I don't know what animal this is from. 

And of course I scared the waterfowl.


Finally, it was time to walk back to the car.  I will admit, as I started back I was a bit disappointed that I hadn't seen anything really spectacular, but you never know what nature will send your way.  I looked up and saw two yellow-bellied sapsuckers flying from tree to tree, and was able to get one photo before they flew away.



Critters observed: Lots of little brown birds, cardinals, woodpeckers (downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, and the yellow-bellied sapsuckers), several great blue herons, several ruby-crowned kinglets, mallards, a kingfisher, and an osprey with a fish.



No comments:

Post a Comment