Sunday, October 2, 2016

Praise

The other day, I sent the Son of Never Stops Eating out to the mailbox to get the mail.  He came back in with the usual junk mail, college brochures and bills (the only person I know who actually still writes letters is the Grandpa of No) and threw them down on the kitchen table.

A minute later, I heard, Mom, aren't you happy that I went out and got the mail for you?

What? I responded.  You want me to give you praise for going out to the mailbox? 

Well, yeah, he answered.  Don't you appreciate your son when I do things for you?

I'm not sure where he got the idea that he deserves verbal recognition every time he does something around the house; I'm quite certain he didn't get it from me.  I am the Mom of No, not the Mom of Nice.  Besides, he knows I can easily be talked into buying candy and unhealthy snacks at the grocery store.  That should be enough thanks right there. (Side note: if my doctor is reading this, I am not the one eating the unhealthy snacks. I only eat healthy snacks like fruit and carrot sticks.  The teenagers won't eat that stuff and it's all that is left by the time I get home from work).

So you think you should be appreciated every time you do something that you're supposed to do anyway because it's part of living in this house, I asked him.  He nodded his head yes.

You live in my house, I told him. I feed you! I pay for the electricity that keeps the lights on around here! I even pay for water so that you can take a shower and wash your hair!  At this, he rolled his eyes and muttered something that might have been "I'd be okay with not having to take a shower".  I already know he thinks that deodorant is optional on weekends and holidays, so I guess a shower isn't considered a high priority task either.

If anyone around here deserves a chorus following her around, singing praises, that person would be me. In fact, I am really starting to be intrigued by this idea.  For example:

I got up and went to work.

Chorus:  You are wonderful! You are amazing! You are the best employee ever! 

Hey, look! I paid the water bill this morning!

Chorus:  You are wonderful! You are amazing! You are the best citizen ever!

I take the car to get the oil changed.

Chorus: You are wonderful! You are amazing! You are the best car owner ever!

I stay up until midnight washing the Teenager's marching band uniform.

Chorus:  You are wonderful! You are amazing! You are the best band mom ever!

Actually, now that I think about it some more, that would get annoying rather quickly.  It is definitely nice to be appreciated, but I don't expect to get praise for stuff that you have to do because you are an adult and you're doing adult things like going to work or paying bills.  I suppose I could have made the Teenager wash her own uniform, but a tired teenager is a cranky teenager. 

I appreciate you, I told him.  I appreciate you every time I give you your allowance.  That's your appreciation right there.

He acknowledged that was a good point. 

Then I reminded him that it was time to take the dog for a walk, and he had clothes in his room to put away, and he needed to pick up all the Legos in the living room.  And he rolled his eyes, and everything was right with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment