Friday, September 16, 2016

Denial of Service

Several days ago, I became aware of an article in the Houston Chronicle about special education in Texas.  In summary, what happened was that the Texas Education Agency (TEA) had set an arbitrary benchmark for the number of students who should be admitted to special education programs in Texas: 8.5%.  Never mind that the actual number of children and youth with disabilities in Texas is actually higher. Schools were required to bring the number of students in their special ed programs down to 8.5% by whatever means they saw fit.

The number of children who were denied the services that they are legally entitled to is, according to the Houston Chronicle article, 250,000 students. 

When I read it the first time, I was angry. When I read it the second time, I was angry, but not surprised.  The third time, I read some comments.  Most were expressing how appalled they were. But some said this:  Why are we even bothering to educate these kids?  Educating disabled kids is a waste of time and money.  Those resources should be spent on students who can actually achieve something more than sacking groceries at Kroger

I wasn't surprised at either the original article, and I wasn't surprised at the harsh comments.  I wasn't even surprised that, aside from other parents of kids with disabilities, the article didn't seem to get as much attention as you might think bureaucratic shenanigans would.  I wasn't surprised to see that other parents weren't surprised.  The general reaction seemed to be anger and a resigned "yeah, something had to be up".  Stories of children being denied services are a recurring theme among special needs parents.

I get it; this information is competing with a contentious election and Colin Kaepernick.  But for those of us with a special-needs student, fighting for our kids becomes ingrained in our daily life.  For some, it becomes more than a full-time job. It becomes instinctual.  After I thought about it some more, I was angry because I wasn't surprised.  This is what we come to expect, as special needs parents.  If something has to be sacrificed to save money, it will be our kids.

I'm tired of hearing about "family values" from politicians who won't provide the services that a disabled child needs to attend school and live a meaningful life.  I'm tired of hearing that I should keep praying, or that God will provide, when what parents of children with disabilities need is for a state agency to do what they are supposed to do and provide the education that special needs students are legally entitled to.  I'm tired of society paying lip service to helping special needs individuals but refusing to allocate any real resources to the cause.  I'm tired of not being surprised when I hear stories about discrimination against people with disabilities of all ages. 

I will also say this: The Son of Never Stops Eating was expelled from private preschool because he "had issues".  He was placed in Public Preschool for Children with Disabilities (PPCD) on his third birthday. He received therapy and the attention of  wonderful, talented teachers.  He went from not speaking to having quite the expressive vocabulary.  He is a library aide and a swimmer for Special Olympics. He can tell the difference between a heron and an egret.  He is an artist. He can make a cheese sandwich and walk the family mutt.  Some of this is because he has awesome parents and a great sister. Some of this is because he has support in the community.  Some of this -much of this-is because of his teachers and aides in the schools he has attended.  I expect that as an adult, he will be employable and will have a place in the world. 

The 250,000 kids being denied services?  Those are 250,000 human beings.  250,000 individuals with unrealized potential.  250,000 future adults who need the services a public school education can provide so that once they are grown, they can take their place in society as contributing members. 

Yes, I was so angry when I read that article.  But sadly, I was not surprised.  And if nothing comes of this story, as I half expect will happen, that will not surprise me either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment