Wednesday, June 15, 2016

His Own Money

The Son of Never Stops Eating is something of a budding artist, and recently he decided to have an "art sale" to raise money for "summer fun" because the Parents of No won't fork over the cash for water park passes, unlimited snow cones, and Lego kits.  He was actually successful in selling some of his art, and he was well on his way to making enough to buy a season pass to his favorite water park.

Then, on a rainy, errand-running day, we took a trip to Target to buy a bathing suit, because he grew.  Again.  I guess that is what happens when you are a 13 year old boy and you drink a gallon of milk a day.

Target is not just a big box store filled with amazing things to buy; it is a money trap for the unsuspecting parent.  You would think, being an experienced mother, I would have gone in prepared for the following, but I was distracted by several things that day.

Son: Mom, I'm going to go look at Legos.
Me:  Ok. I'm not buying anything
Son: (eye rolling) I know, Mom! I know! You say that every time!
-ten minutes later-
Son: Mom, do you have my art money?
Me:  Yes......why? (slowly, suspicion starts to dawn)
Son: I want to buy the fire station Lego kit.

He'd been telling me for a couple of weeks that he wanted that water park pass. He wanted it so badly! He wanted it more than anything! It was his heart's desire! Now he was changing his mind.

Me: I thought you wanted water park passes.
Son: The Y pool is okay. Plus it is going to rain all summer (sigh of resignation).
Me: Are you sure? Because you don't have enough for both.
Son:  Yes, Mom! I am sure! Besides, it's my art money, not yours!

I know- and if you are a parent, you know this too- the satisfaction from acquiring the fire station Lego set will last only a few weeks, at most.  Then he will have a new heart's desire.  I could have put my foot down, I suppose. I am the Mom of No, after all. I know that in a week, he will be talking about those water park passes, once the rain stops and it's blazing hot outside.  But he was right: it was his art money, not mine.  So I let him buy the Lego set. 

It can be hard to watch your kid make a choice that is different from the one you would have made. It will be a valuable lesson for him in a couple of weeks if he realizes that he did, actually, really want those park passes.  I can't say this was a mistake, because he was thrilled with his purchase. That Lego fire station set has been on his wish list for a long time.  He spent all afternoon putting it together and was quite happy.  It just wasn't what I would have done. 

If he does decide he made a mistake, however, and says something to me, I will admit that I will take a small bit of pleasure in telling him "I told you so".  Just a wee bit.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get any art! (Call me Mike the Enabler). Just how much is that water park pass?

    ReplyDelete