Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Marsh Project Week #35

It's been awhile since I've updated my project; a weekend trip and then a unexpected ER visit followed by a few days of recuperation interrupted my nature exploration, as did flooding in the marsh due to what seemed like endless rain.  However, I'm back on track (hopefully) and sunshine this weekend meant that I could get the mud boots on, grab the camera, and make my way back out to my favorite trail and observation point.  One aspect of cooler weather I really enjoy: almost no mosquitoes. 



The marsh had changed- a lot.  When I'd been out there three weeks ago, the lily pads covering the marsh were looking a little wilty and brown around the edges, but they were still mostly green and they were still covering the water surface.  Either the cold spells we've had or the flooding or both had rendered them shrunken and brown.  The green herons are gone for the winter; I'll be looking forward to seeing them next summer.  In their place, the northern flickers have arrived. 

The dragonflies are mostly gone, with the exception of the common green darners, which were still plentiful and active, and the variegated meadowhawks, which seem to be the first to come and the last to leave every year.  Even the Eastern pondhawks, usually everywhere on this trail, were nowhere to be seen.  In sunlight, the variegated meadowhaws' metallic coloration glimmers, making them seem like winged jewels of early spring and late fall. 



The butterflies, however, are making a late fall appearance with the monarch migration coming through.  This past spring I'd seen almost no monarchs, so I was glad to see multiple monarchs in a wildflower patch at the entrance to the nature preserve, along with the Gulf fritillaries, variegated fritillaries, and common buckeyes.  I also observed a goatweed leafwing perched on a branch with its bright orange wings open; when its wings are closed, it can easily be mistaken for a leaf.  



Earlier yesterday, I'd gotten a hot tip from another fan of nature that the pelicans were out on the river.  The water flow had been cut off from the dam and no water was coming out of the outlet work gates, but when I arrived several American white pelicans were standing around (literally- the water appeared to be only a few inches deep).  I don't know if they were waiting for the water to start flowing out of the dam so that they could commence fishing, or what they were doing, but I'm always excited to see the pelicans.  After I finished my hike, I noticed that they'd all left. 



Finally, a really interesting find as I came off the trail- a very large green caterpillar- possibly a Polyphemus moth, but I am not sure as to ID.  





No comments:

Post a Comment