Monday, May 28, 2018

Why Do You Want to Leave Me?

Two weeks from today, the Teenager will be a high school graduate.  Three months from today, she'll be several states away, living in a dorm (sorry, residence hall) and doing college student things like going to the library to study, attending class, drinking a lot of coffee, doing her own laundry, learning how to live with a roommate in a tiny space, eating pizza at 2 AM and otherwise being a (mostly?) responsible young adult (hopefully).

I'll still be here, with the Dad of No and the Son of Never Stops Eating, outnumbered two to one.  When I mentioned this a few days ago, I was informed by the Son of Never Stops Eating that both the family mutt and his hamster are also female, so I really wasn't outnumbered at all; I was still in the majority.  So I'll amend this:  Among the two-legged, English-speaking members of the household, I'll be outnumbered. The Son of Never Stops Eating's focus on all of this seems to be his belief that her room will soon become his LEGO studio.  It has yet to occur to him that her chores will become his chores.

I got a taste of how quiet it will be once she leaves this past weekend, when the Teenager went on her final marching band trip.  Every other year, the band takes an out of state road trip, and this year they were going to the Windy City (side note: I was informed upon the Teenager's return that Chicago isn't really all that windy).  In the past, when I've dropped her off to go on some band trip or church mission trip, or even Girl Scout camp, I was doing a little dance in the car on the way home- one less kid! Mom vacation time! Not that I didn't miss her, because I did, but the Mom life is often easier when the remaining kid has no one to bicker with.  In a week, I'd be picking her up, along with her stinky dirty clothes that almost immediately saturated my vehicle with the aroma of eau de mold, and seeking information about the trip that would get me an eyeroll and a "Mom! Why are you asking me so many questions".

This time, I was aware that this could very well be the last drop-off before the Big Drop-Off in August, the one where we haul all kinds of stuff up to the dorm room, make the bed, hang things up in the closet, meet the roommate, and then give hugs (and final Mom advice) before heading back home.  This next time, it will be months before I see her again.

The Teenager and I are both devotees of that most excellent film, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  We've gleaned much useful advice from this film: Windex is an excellent cure-all for whatever ails you, lamb is vegetarian and the word "kimono" has Greek roots.  In an early scene of the movie the main character, Toula, informs her father that she'd like to do something with her life and he responds with "What? Why you want to leave me?" On the way to band drop off, I asked the teenager the same thing, mostly as an attempt at Mom humor.  "Why do you want to leave me?"

Stop it, Mom, she finally said.  I think she was getting a little annoyed.

When I drove out of the parking lot after dropping off the Teenager at the band hall, I could feel myself getting a little weepy.  Just a little bit, but there were some watery eyes.  I knew she'd be home in three days this time around.  It was thinking of the next time around that was making me sad.  I know she wants to go.  I know once I get used to it there will be some advantages: having my fall Friday nights free once more and not running out of milk three days before grocery day.  When I got home, however, the house was much more quiet- and that will take some getting used to.

However, I'm guessing, based on my own college experience that when she does come home, she'll probably bring at least some stinky dirty laundry home with her.  It will be just like old times.


No comments:

Post a Comment