Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Marsh Project Week #19

The weather forecast for the weekend had not been promising, so I was happy when the torrential rain that we were expecting mostly passed us by, except for the rain that poured down at the same time The Teenager was scheduled to get her hair done for prom (fortunately, the rain tapered off before she was due to leave for the festivities).  As a result, I was able to get my hiking in which was a good thing because I needed it.



For multiple reasons, it's been a stressful and hectic few weeks, and with graduation right around the corner, it won't be any less busy for several more weeks. I'm glad that I have my nearby nature to help relieve the stress and to give me a chance to breathe.  The spring and summer wildlife continues to show up, despite some still cool days and nights, and every day brings something new to the trails.

I am still not seeing as many dragonflies as I  had expected, but every day I see more variety.  Same for butterflies; a viceroy has apparently staked out some territory near one bend of the trail, and I've seen it there a few times, fluttering around and resting on leaves. Or perhaps there's two viceroys who have claimed that section of real estate; I'm not able to tell if there's a difference, but I'm glad to see it/them.  The red admirals continue to be plentiful, and once or twice I've seen an Eastern tiger swallowtail fly by.



The ducks are mostly gone, except for some American coots, the ever-present mallards, and the skittish blue-winged teal. It's been a few weeks since I've seen a gadwall or a common goldeneye.  They've been supplanted by the birds of summer: little blue herons, the scissor-tailed flycatchers, the blue grosbeaks, and a rumor that the painted buntings will be here soon if they aren't already. Today, I saw a belted kingfisher (a year-round resident) with a fish in its beak.  Along the river, a spotted sandpiper has found a bit of shoreline that suits it; he (or she: I'm unsure of gender) has been there several times this week.



I'm starting to see more snakes, which makes me really happy; I know not everyone is a fan of the snake but I get a definite thrill every time I spot one curled up or stretched out on a log, sunning and minding its own business.  One evening last week I saw a broad-banded water snake swimming through the pond on its way to attend to some snake business.

I know I'm not the only one dealing with stress and a hectic schedule at the moment; a walk in the woods usually is not the solution to the problem, but even a brief time in nature, breathing deeply, walking, and really looking at nature can be a respite in a crazy world.



Seen this week: Broad-banded water snake, plain-bellied water snake, American bullfrog, sora (bird), Eastern pondhawk dragonfly, common whitetail dragonfly, plains clubtail dragonfly, blue dasher dragonfly, band-winged dragonlet, blue corporal dragonfly, several damselflies, armadillos rooting around after a rainstorm, ladder-backed woodpecker,  greater yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, Eastern tiger swallowtail, viceroy, monarch, gray hairstreak, numerous sparrows, Swainson's hawk, both Eastern and Western kingbirds, scissor-tailed flycatchers galore, little blue herons, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment