Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Marsh Project Week #7

More cold.  Not just cold but your feet are frozen solid despite the fact you're wearing hiking boots and thick socks cold.  The cold, however, was not a problem when it came to getting some good observations- the birds were definitely out both for my morning and afternoon visits.



I went out early in the morning, bundled up, to see if the marsh has frozen over (some of the shallow water had) and I managed to get a observation of a new bird: two canvasback ducks.



On the way to the blind, I also saw several ruby-crowned kinglets walking on the ice.  Those birds move fast so I took several photos and hoped that I'd get one that wasn't blurry or just showed the bird's butt.



Finally, I had to admit that it was too cold even for someone as obsessed with nature as I am (and I was craving a hot cup of coffee and some breakfast), so I headed back to the car.  However, later in the day it warmed up so I put the thick socks and four layers of shirts back on and headed back out to enjoy the sunshine.  I definitely had chores to do around the house but chores can wait when the birds are calling.

As I walked by one of the reedy areas on the boardwalk, I heard the distinctive sounds of a marsh wren.  These birds are rather reclusive and hard to spot, but this one was flying in and out of the grass and the reeds, so I stood quietly for a few minutes and tried to predict where the wren would go next.  I took several photos, mostly of the vegetation after the wren had flown through it, but I was able to get one photo I liked.  Patience is not one of my personal strengths but if you want to get good photos of birds you have to make at least an attempt at patience. 




The armadillos were also out, rooting around.

Observed on the trail today:  Armadillo, belted kingfishers, common goldeneye, cardinals, the usual little brown birds, marsh wren, green-winged teal, gadwall, canvasback, downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, Canada goose, one turtle with his head sticking up out of the water,  a few deer (in the morning), ruby-crowned kinglets,  American coots, American kestrel, great blue egrets, mallards.

No comments:

Post a Comment